Prey Masters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Website Home
       HOME
Prey Masters
Fox Pro

Remington
Under Armour
Realtree
MOJO Outdoors
Nikon
Hornady
Winchester
T/C

AR 15 varmint medicine

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
XTREMETEXAS
Pro Staff
XTREMETEXAS

AR 15 varmint medicine Empty
PostSubject: AR 15 varmint medicine   AR 15 varmint medicine EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 2:19 am

I may have found my varmint medicine. I have been looking for an AR15 for varmint hunting and may have found one. The guy is supposed to call tomorrow. wish me luck
Back to top Go down
Prey Masters
Pro Staff
Prey Masters

PostSubject: Re: AR 15 varmint medicine   AR 15 varmint medicine EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 6:30 am

Hope it works out! I just bought a heavy barrel NEF .223 in the Handi Rifle model. Took it out and lined it up and am VERY impressed! I bought a box of 65 gr. hollow points (which are hard to punch a tight group with) but will get a box of the .65 gr. V-Max this week instead. Still, the hollow points had a 1" group at 100 yards.....and that ammo is pretty cheap!
Back to top Go down
https://preymasters.forumotion.com
MOpredator
Pro Staff
MOpredator

PostSubject: Re: AR 15 varmint medicine   AR 15 varmint medicine EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 9:32 am

What brand of AR are you looking to buy? They are great predator rifles, I love mine.
Back to top Go down
YoteSlayer

YoteSlayer

PostSubject: Re: AR 15 varmint medicine   AR 15 varmint medicine EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 9:53 am

I looked at AR's a couple years ago....but didn't pull the trigger so to speak

I'd still like to get one
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitetailaffliction.com
XTREMETEXAS
Pro Staff
XTREMETEXAS

PostSubject: Re: AR 15 varmint medicine   AR 15 varmint medicine EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 10:21 am

Mike I had the handi rifle in 243 with the heavy barrel and the blond delux wood stock. Loved the gun but the trigger was a bit heavy so my groups suffered a bit. I dont really care which brand of AR I get. The less expensive the better because I plan to customize it my self. The guy who e mailed me yesterday has an olympic arms. He is supposed to call me this afternoon to discuss it. he wants a thousand for the AR a hard case and 1000 rounds of ammo and 6 extra clips. SO we are discussing a trade for a couple of guns I am wanting to part with. I had a Colt AR back several years ago and like an idiot I sold it. Now it seems I really want another black gun. I have been watching several tv shows that feature varmint hunting with them and I want the quick fallow up shots along with the range and accuracy of the 223 round. I figure topped with a decent 3x9 scope the AR should be just fine out to 250 yrds or so easy.
Back to top Go down
ARpredator

ARpredator

PostSubject: Re: AR 15 varmint medicine   AR 15 varmint medicine EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 12:44 am

XTREMETEXAS wrote:
Mike I had the handi rifle in 243 with the heavy barrel and the blond delux wood stock. Loved the gun but the trigger was a bit heavy so my groups suffered a bit. I dont really care which brand of AR I get. The less expensive the better because I plan to customize it my self. The guy who e mailed me yesterday has an olympic arms. He is supposed to call me this afternoon to discuss it. he wants a thousand for the AR a hard case and 1000 rounds of ammo and 6 extra clips. SO we are discussing a trade for a couple of guns I am wanting to part with. I had a Colt AR back several years ago and like an idiot I sold it. Now it seems I really want another black gun. I have been watching several tv shows that feature varmint hunting with them and I want the quick fallow up shots along with the range and accuracy of the 223 round. I figure topped with a decent 3x9 scope the AR should be just fine out to 250 yrds or so easy.

You're going to run into a ton of AR snobs that will tell you the Olympic brand is sub par. I'm one of those guys.

The AR platform is very versatile. You're going to be able to hunt with the rifle, plus take it to the range and shoot however much your wallet can handle. The Olympic brand isn't one that is known for taking a lot of abuse. Nor have the correct mil spec bolt carrier group. The BCG and the barrel is pretty much what makes the rifle. You can add whatever trigger you'd like from a stock mil spec to a Wilson Combat TTU or Geiselle for hunting.

I've had Armalite, Bushmaster and RRA. Sold them all and currently have a Bravo Company upper with a Troy 10 inch quadrail with Bravo BCG. My brother picked up a RRA lower and now I'm just debating on a trigger and optic and I'm set.

I would go the "buy once, cry once" route if I were you, as most AR's (even bottom end) are somewhat pricey.

Goto Bravo Company's website http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ and shop around. They are pretty much the cats meow right now. The owner, Paul, takes steps most other companies dream about to ensure you have the most mil spec high quality rifle money can buy, and not cost and arm and a leg. My upper receiver group with bolt carrier was $535ish minus the rail. Add any lower you want, as long as its from a somewhat reputable company it will be in spec, add a stock and a trigger group and you're set.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. I can't think of a more versatile platform to begin with. A gun that can be used for paper punching, hunting, and self defense.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
ARpredator

ARpredator

PostSubject: Re: AR 15 varmint medicine   AR 15 varmint medicine EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 3:21 pm

XTREMETEXAS wrote:

Also, go with a 1-7' twist on whatever AR you decide on. This gives you the option to load or buy heavier 77+gr 223 rounds which are unusually accurate and give you a metric ton more knockdown
Back to top Go down
XTREMETEXAS
Pro Staff
XTREMETEXAS

PostSubject: Re: AR 15 varmint medicine   AR 15 varmint medicine EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 9:36 am

thanks guys advice well received
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AR 15 varmint medicine   AR 15 varmint medicine Empty

Back to top Go down

AR 15 varmint medicine
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Prey Masters :: The Gear Shack :: Weapons of Choice-
Jump to: